Smoked Salmon + Caviar + Crepes = Amazing Appetizer
Simple. Easy. Gluten-Free
For Brown Rice Crepes:
- 3/4 cups brown rice flour
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon chilled whole milk
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- Pinch of salt.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened (for cooking)
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning
- 1 pound thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 100 grams Tobiko caviar (can be substituted with any caviar)
- In blender or food processor, blend together the eggs, milk, heavy cream, salt, and sugar (all ingredients for crepe except for butter).
- You want to use a blender or food processor to get the air blended into the batter.
- Turn on stove to medium-high heat to heat either a crepe pan or a non-stick 8 or 9 inch pan (I use a non-stick pan and in a smaller pan the crepe will be slightly thicker, but still comes out fine).
- Make sure you have a wire rack set up to place each finished crepe on (once the crepe is cool, it can be transferred to a silpat or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper).
- Once pan is hot, turn to low heat and lightly brush surface with butter (I use heatproof rubber spatula, so the non-stick pan does not get scratched and take approximately 1/4 teaspoon of butter and brush it around on the surface of the pan – this step is repeated for each crepe).
- Most websites use medium-high heat for the crepe, but I found that I can control the browning on the crepe better on low heat – it takes longer but it comes out perfectly.
- Use 1/4 cup to scoop onto the pan the batter and swirl the batter around on the pan.
- Let the batter sit and use the spatula to gently scrape the sides once it starts to cook through.
- Once the first side is cooked, flip the crepe over to the other side.
- After both sides are cooked, set the crepe on the wire rack.
- Repeat the steps for the rest of the batter.
- Mix together creme fraiche and chives.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Use a 3 1/2 inch circle cutter to cut out circles in the crepes.
- Repeat the same step for smoked salmon.
- Place the first crepe on the serving plate.
- Spread crepe with creme fraiche mixture so there is a thin layer on the crepe (I prefer to use a bent spatula to create an even spread).
- Add a layer of the smoked salmon over the creme fraiche and then layer another crepe on top.
- Repeat steps and end with crepe on top layer.
- When ready to serve – spread a thin layer on caviar on top and sprinkle chives in the center for garnish.
- To keep in refrigerator overnight, wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
- Serve and Enjoy!