Simply said “I love candy”
And one of my favorites is homemade toffee
…perfect snack and garnish
- 1 stick and 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Butter a cookie sheet.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat butter, sugar and water on medium-high heat.
- Constantly stir with wooden or heat-proof spoon until candy thermometer reaches 300F to 310F degrees.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and salt.
- Pour onto cookie sheet and spread thin. Allow the toffee to cool down and to expedite the cool down, place in freezer for 5 minutes (the toffee will become more brittle, making it easier to break into pieces, chop into bits or place into food processor).
- Alternative option is to make it into a toffee bar and add chopped nuts and top with chocolate.
- To add chopped nuts to the toffee, before adding the vanilla and salt to the boiling toffee in the saucepan, stir-in 1/2 cup of chopped nuts to the toffee and then add the vanilla and salt.
- Spread the toffee on the cookie sheet and allow the toffee to cool for a few minutes and then top with 1 cup to 1 six-ounce bag of chocolate chips, then place in freezer so the hot toffee does not melt the chocolate chips.
Endless possibilities of delightful combinations…