Drooling butter for the Cheddar Cheese Biscuits and Lobster Sandwich…
I’ve always loved biscuits, but getting them just right has always been a challenge…. until now…
The best part about this recipe is when everything just comes together and you take that first bite into the cheesey biscuit, buttery warm lobster and its just…absolutely perfect.
For Cheddar Cheese Biscuits:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening, cubed
- 3/4 stick, unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 egg, cold
- 3/4 buttermilk, cold
- 1 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping on the biscuits
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 2-pound lobster
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
For Cheddar Cheese Biscuits:
- Place cubed butter, shortening and buttermilk in freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cheddar cheese and pepper and set on the side.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk together and set on the side.
- In mixing bowl for standing mixer, shift together flour, white, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt.
- With paddle attachment to standing mixer, on slow speed, add the cubed shortening and butter to the flour mixture. Once the flour has a coarse texture, add the cheddar and black pepper to the mixture.
- Add the egg mixture all at once to the mixer and the dough will start to come together.
- Dust a work surface area with flour.
- Knead and fold the dough about 6 times in both directions.
- Pat out dough down so it is about 1 inch thick and into a rectangular shape to cut into twelve biscuits or use a 2 inch cutter to make round biscuits.
- Sprinkle the top of each biscuit with ample cheddar cheese and fresh ground black pepper.
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes. If there are any biscuits waiting to be baked, place in freezer until ready to bake in oven.
- Once out of the oven, set on side to cool.
I personally love steamed lobster, since the meat comes out more tender and preserves the natural flavor better.
- Place lobster in freezer until ready to cook.
- In a large pot that can fit the lobster comfortably.
- Fill the pot with about 2 inches of salted water.
- Set steaming rack in the middle of the pot and bring the water to boil over high heat.
- Place lobster in the pot for about 18 minutes for a 2 pound lobster and cover with lid.
- For one pound lobster, you only need about 10 minutes.
- Once finished, use tong to pull the lobster out of the pot to sit and cool.
- De-shell the lobster and chop the lobster tail into smaller pieces.
- Mix with melted butter and chives.
- Warm on the biscuits with either microwave or oven set at 200F degrees.
- Slice the biscuits in half.
- Place buttered lobster meat in biscuit.