I wanted a triple layer cake, but decided to make cupcakes instead…
I love this chocolate cake recipe and turned it into cupcake form. I wanted a multi-layer cake without making a cake, so the next best thing was to add layers to my cupcake. It turned out to be the perfect indulgence. Whip cream plus strawberries and chocolate and therefore chocolate cravings satisfied.
Stackable fun and like eating a sandwich, but better…
For Cake (makes 24):
- 1 cup boiling hot water with 1 teaspoon King Arthur Flour Espresso powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Valrhona 100% cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 granulated white sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
For Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F.
- Line muffin tins with liners.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the boiling espresso and cocoa powder until dissolved and smooth mixture.
- Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Set cocoa mixture on side.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set flour mixture on the side.
- In the bowl with mixer with paddle attachment, mix the butter, white and dark brown sugar together at medium speed until the mixture is light in color and fluffy in texture.
- Lightly beat each egg in small bowl and add to mixture one at a time (make sure each egg is fully incorporated into mixture before adding the next).
- Mix in flour and cocoa mixture – alternating in three separate batches. Start mixing in the flour mixture first, then cocoa mixture, then flour mixture and so on (make sure to end on flour mixture).
- Once completely incorporated, pour batter into cake pan(s) and use a rubber spatula to smooth the top so it is evenly distributed.
- Bake cupcakes for 18-20 minutes.
- Bake 9 inch round cake pans for 25-30 minutes and bake 9×13 inch pan for 35-40 minutes.
- Half way through baking rotate the cake pan around to ensure even cake baking.
- Use a toothpick to test to ensure that the cake is fully cooked.
- Once removed from oven let the cake set for a few minutes before flipping the cake onto the wire rack to completely cool.
- After the cake is on the wire rack, remove the parchment paper and allow the cake to completely cool down before cutting or decorating.
For Whipped Cream:
- Place steel mixing bowl in freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour sugar and heavy cream in bowl and turn mixer to medium-high speed.
- Once soft peaks form, add pure vanilla extract.
- Turn mixer speed up to high and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Use a serrated knife and cut off the top of the cupcake and then cut the body of the cupcake in half.
- Place whip cream in pipping bag with star point.
- Slice strawberries and place on side.
- Place bottom of cupcake on serving plate and use pipping bag to pipe a circle of whip cream on top.
- Place middle section of cupcake on top of the whip cream and place sliced strawberries on top and finish with another round of whip cream on top.
- Place top of cupcake on top and finish with whip cream and a slice of strawberry.
**Chocolate cupcake recipe adapted from Joy the Baker.