I was inspired by the beautiful layers and textures of a Babka bread, so I figured why not try it out on a pizza. I had been dreaming about these nice fluffy layers and swirls of bread with tomato sauce and cheese. And it came out just the way that I had imagined…with perfect pull-apart layers of pizza!!
Usually, I like to try to make the dough, but for pizza and bagels I prefer to buy it from the best local place I know. For me, I love “Best Pizza” right down the street to me in Brooklyn and they’ll sell you just the dough. Even if a place doesn’t outright list the price of the dough on the menu, just ask, because sometimes they do! I hope you enjoy the Babka Pizza as much as I do!!!
Please note that below ingredient proportions of cheese, sauce and herbs are for one Babka Pizza. The amount of dough below is for one large pizza and can make two Babka Pizzas. If you would like to use up the dough, please double the rest of the ingredients OR use the rest of the dough a mini pizza! You’ll still need more sauce and cheese, but definitely get creative and maybe try out a white pizza or use different cheeses!
- 1 pizza dough halved (I recommend buying from a local pizza store… especially if it’s a favorite local spot. The dough is such an important component, that it’s worth getting it fresh from a pizza shop rather than pre-packaged.)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I personally love getting a whole mozzarella cheese and freshly shred the cheese). Divide into 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon and 3 tablespoons.
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce (I love Trader Joe’s pizza sauce found in the refrigerated section in the store)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional for pizza sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (optional for pizza sauce)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Optional: 16-20 slices of pepperoni.
- Preheat oven 385F degrees and line loaf pan with parchment paper with some overhang on the pan (to make it easier to pull the Pizza Babka out of the pan once done).
- Take one of the halves of the pizza dough and use a rolling pin to roll it out to about 6 inches diameter (the pizza dough may naturally bounce back a little bit), so it may be easier to toss the dough to stretch it out. Get the dough into a rectangular shape and to approximately 12 inches by 17 inches.
Spread the sauce evenly around the dough.
Sprinkle cheese evenly around the entire area. And this is that moment to add some pepperoni on top of the cheese!!
Roll the edges from the long side.
Cut the dough in half, so you’ll have two even rolls. Set them side by side.
Leaving a centimeter on top and bottom of each roll, use a serrated knife to slice through the center of each roll about half-way deep in the roll, but not all the way through.
Take the two rolls and overlap one over the other, but keeping the top of each roll facing up (so the side sliced open still faces up) and place into loaf pan.
- Before placing in oven, you can either leave as is or lightly sauce and top with extra mozzarella and pepperoni.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes and check internal temperature has reached 190F-200F degrees to ensure that it is fully cooked (if the dough is too thick, it could come out under-cooked).
- Take out of oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes, then use the parchment overhang to pull the Pizza Babka out of the pan.
Pull on a corner of the Pizza Babka and see all those LAYERS!!!
Top with some fresh basil and bon appetit!!