The primary secret to the recipe is using cold ingredients, which makes it so much easier! Because normally, I have to pull out the butter and eggs from the frig ahead of time to let it come to room temperature. I’ll have to make these more often!
The below recipe makes 5 to 10 cookies depending on if you’re making filled cookies or only chocolate chip cookies. The filled cookies require twice the amount of cookie dough. The fun part about these cookies is that they’re giant cookies!!
For where I buy these giant chocolate chips along with must-have tools and ingredients for baking, check out my page on Amazon!
Ingredients (makes 5 to 10 cookies):
- 2 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2 large eggs, cold
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup Ghirardelli semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 to 2 cups Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- Optional: for Nutella filling, need 1/2 cup of Nutella.
- In medium mixing bowl, whisk together bread flour and all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then set to the flour mixture to the side.
- In mixing bowl to standing mixer, use the paddle attachment to combine together the cubed butter and sugars. Start on the Kitchen Aid “stir” setting until the sugar and the butter come together more and then increase the speed to 2 until the butter and sugar mixture is fully combined. It will look a bit lumpy (and not so pretty…)
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and once combined into the mixture, the texture should be smoother.
- On a jelly roll pan, place parchment paper or foil on the pan and then place the cookie dough onto the pan.
- Shape the cookie dough into a rectangular shape and use a knife to cut into 10 squares.
- If you’re filling the cookie with Nutella, then roll two squares into balls and then flatten them. Take about 1 1/2 tablespoon of Nutella (or heaping 1 tablespoon of Nutella) and place onto the center of one of the flattened dough balls. Then take the other flattened dough and place on top and pinch together the seams of the sides.
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees.
- When placing on cookie sheet, make sure to allow ample space between the cookies to ensure they do not expand into each other while baking.
- Bake for approximately 16-20 minutes. Check on the cookies at 16 minute mark and see if they’ve started to brown a little bit around the sides. If not, continue to check every minute and pull them out of the oven once they’ve started to brown. Don’t over bake otherwise you’ll end up with hardened cookies!
This is a great recipe to alter and add other fillings such as marshmallow fluff and chocolate fudge as well!
Cookie dough recipe is adapted from Brown Eyed Baker.