I’ve always been a huge fan of passion fruit! Anything and everything passion fruit! From the actual fruit to desserts and cocktails. It’s rare to find passion fruit in abundance in the US, but when I go to Asia, I definitely try to max out every opportunity I have to have AS MUCH passion fruit as possible! That sweet and tangy flavor is so perfect to me…
So, I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to play with Valrhona’s passion fruit inspiration couvertures that have that incredible balance of sweet in tangy and makes me want to go back for more. I could easily eat these on its own… but I did venture a bit to create a recipe that I absolutely love and want you to try as well!
I present to you… a cookie with a very subtle nutty flavor from the molasses of the light brown sugar and light notes of coconut from the coconut cream incorporated into the cookie dough, and stuffed with a passion fruit ganache. The mini dark chocolate chips act like the cocoa nibs that you sometimes find passion fruit desserts paired with, and of course, I had to add some sprinkles on top for a nice tropical mix. My sprinkles of preference is, of course, Neon Yolk, who has the most fun color combinations that it continues to inspire me.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon coconut cream
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/3 cup Valrhona Passion Fruit INSPIRATION
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup fun sprinkles
- Start with the passion fruit ganache, so it has time to cool down while we work on the cookie dough.
- Pour the heavy cream into a saucepan and bring the heat to low.
- Once the heavy cream starts to lightly simmer, add in the Valrhona passion fruit INSPIRATION chips.
- Use a whisk to stir and continue to stir until the mixture is smooth and completely comes together.
- Turn off the heat and pour the mixture into a heatproof bowl or container. You will have left over, so best to place into a container that can be sealed easily.
- Set the passion fruit ganache to the side.
- For the cookie dough, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set the bowl to the side.
- Using the paddle attachment to standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Reduce the speed to low and add in the egg, followed by vanilla extract and coconut cream.
- Once the mixture is combined, slowly add in the flour mixture until the cookie dough comes together and stop the mixer.
- Take 1/2 cup of cookie dough and roll it into a ball, and then flatten it into a flattened round cookie dough that is approximately 3.5 inches in diameter.
- Use your fingers to gently press into the center of the cookie dough to create a divet to hold the passion fruit ganache.
- Use a spoon to scoop about 2 tablespoons into the divet. If the passion fruit ganache is overflowing, try to create a large divet to hold more of the ganache in the center.
- Take 1/3 cup of cookie dough and roll it into a ball, and then flatten it to a round circle.
- Place the flattened circle over the other cookie dough and gently pinch the sides together to create a seal.
- Repeat these steps to create two more cookies.
- Top the cookies with sprinkles and mini chocolate chips. Another alternative for our chocolate lovers is to top with larger chocolate chips. And something else for our coconut fans, is to add some shredded coconut on top!
- Place the cookies in the freezer for at least 15 to 20 minutes for the cookie dough to rest and preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Bake each cookie for approximately 25-28 minutes, until the sides are golden brown and then center appears to be crisp.
- Once the cookie is removed from the oven, allow it to cool down on the baking tray for at least 15 to 30 minutes, otherwise the hot passion fruit ganache in the center may leak out.
Enjoy the the best passion fruit cookie ever!!!